HELVETAS is the largest Swiss nongovernmental organization with a dual mandate for long term development and humanitarian response. It has been present in Moldova since 2019 implementing projects in the field of market systems development in the field of agriculture.
Following the crisis in Ukraine, HELVETAS initiated emergency assistance for Moldovan families hosting refugees from Ukraine. We are currently reinforcing our operational presence to build up a comprehensive response to the current crisis.
Contract: Local (full-time)
Starting date: January 2022
Duration: 3 months, renewable (upon donor’s approval)
Duty Station: Cimislia, Leova, Stefan Voda, Causeni (can be based in one of the districts but travelling)
GENERAL POSITION SUMMARY:
Under the supervision of Cash Manager, the Shelter Officer is responsible for the daily planning, implementation, supervision, monitoring and reporting of the shelter related activities and for ensuring proper coordination with local authorities and ministries representatives, beneficiaries and related HELVETAS Departments. The position requires extensive field work and movement in rayons with possible field trips to Chisinau.
Objective 1: Programming & Operations
- Organize and lead on conducting technical surveys, questionnaires or assessments as required;
- Be the focal point for technical related database management of the assigned area;
- Develop and periodically update a suitable shelter approach for the Operation, taking into consideration area-based multi-sectoral approaches, age and gender, culture, climate, environmental protection and the availability of local resources, including materials, capacities and existing infrastructure;
- Establish clear guidance and detailed standards for coordinated shelter assessments, specific to the operational context in line with emergency standards and long-term durable shelter solutions;
- Design the most efficient approach for the household’s insulation project activity, including households visits and BoQs design based on the Shelter assessment results;
- Monitor and follow up the design and construction works to confirm these are approved by the relevant authorities, technically sound, supplemented with accurate drawings, detailed BoQs and specifications if and when required;
- Work with the procurement team to advise on matters related to the procurement of construction, infrastructure and other sector related works and services, including the development of technical specifications, BoQs and drawings for bid documents;
- Carry out technical evaluation of the received bids as well as review/inspect the quality of shelter and infrastructure products/works during implementation and at completion;
- Cross check and validate the list of potential beneficiaries in coordination with the Community Management Committees.
Objective 2: Team management & Leadership
- Lead and manage a team of 3-4 people (including people planning, performance, well-being and development);
- Participate, as technical focal point for shelter/infrastructure, in coordination meetings with various stakeholders including Government counterparts to ensure HELVETAS interests and those of the persons of concern are adequately reflected and disseminate information to all stakeholders in a timely, efficient manner;
- Coordinate with partners to assess, analyze and map available information on shelter options in country considering relevant policies, guidelines and plans adopted by the Government;
- Collaborate with Programme and emphasize the importance of reviewing technical components of the contractual agreements that contain any construction and infrastructure projects;
- Initiate procurements and ensure their execution in coordination with the Cash Manager;
- Ensure effective planning and quality implementation of the HELVETAS shelter activities;
- Ensure daily monitoring of area.
Objective 3: Data collection and reporting
- Data collection and recoding regarding the project indicators and the potential beneficiaries;
- Report over day the problems to the Cash Manager and Emergency Programme Coordinator;
- Report daily activities, incidents and achievements;
- Report the use of materials and possible improvements;
- Support in the design, implementation and/or monitoring of any activity relevant for the projects;
- Be involved in any evaluation on filed survey implemented by HELVETAS;
- Maintain an accurate reporting and data management of the activities.
Objective 4: Security
- Respect the security rules specified in the mission and the base security plan and perform the security management tasks that can be assigned in its protocols;
- Communicate to the management about any security related information or noncompliance with the security plan.
Objective 5: Support all HELVETAS activities
- Support emergency interventions as per the employee`s competences;
- Support any activity that helps achieving HELVETAS humanitarian goals as per the employee`s capacities;
- Participate in new assessments;
- Support of the activities if needed.
Note: this term of reference is not exhaustive and may be changed or amended by the Cash Manager/Emergency Programme Coordinator when necessary, according to the base needs.
Experience & Education
- Technical and/or engineering higher qualification (e.g. university degree); associated with significant field experience is preferred
- Minimum of 2-3 years of relevant work experience
- Experience in monitoring construction works and managing contractors is highly desirable
- Familiarity with the minimum construction standards (e.g. Normative în construcţii)
Skills & Qualifications
- Work with State Officials
- Team management
- Knowledge in projects implementation and programme quality assurance
- Excel, Word, Power Point, Constructions professional software (e.g. AutoCAD)
- Bill of Quantities (BoQs) design
- Native Romanian speaker
- English and Russian are an asset, particularly English
- Effective communication skills
Due to the urgency recruitment will be done on a rolling basis, thus the position will be filled as soon as a suitable candidate is identified.
This is a local position, therefore only citizens of the Republic of Moldova or others legally authorized to work in the country are eligible to apply. We reserve the right to choose the most suitable candidate.
The willing candidates must submit their CV in English to the following e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please indicate in the subject line the position you are applying for. Only shortlisted candidates will be interviewed. References will be checked.